Friday, May 31, 2013

Current Mustache Measurements - Baseline Data

Facts, figures, and numbers are not usually something that you associate with mustaches.  But, since this blog documents my mustache experience, measurements let me document exactly where I am in this journey.  I am aware of no other such documentation of mustache growth generally available.  If it interests you – read on -  otherwise skip to my next entry.  This data will become more interesting once I can compare with later readings and you can see my rate of growth and compare it to others.

If I was a true scientist writing a dissertation on the growth of a mustache I would use precise measurements with exacting instruments, use a variety of men for documentation and control purposes, perform statistical analysis, establishes a rigorous measurement protocol, start with a baseline of a clean-shaven face, and seek millions of dollars in government grants to make this happen.  My efforts, however use much more casual with crude measuring tools and a haphazard measuring schedule, and start with an existing mustache – and I am not pursing grants – though I will not refuse any if offered.

Here are some reasons for collecting this data:
  • This gives objective data to show match specific items and pictures – such as whisker length – to various pictures.  What does a handlebar mustache look like at various lengths and times … you will see see.
  • It allows evaluation and comparison of different periods.  This shows growth rate.
  • Particularly good-looking or bad-looking phases can be identified and either returned to or avoided at all costs.
  • Others may wish to gather their own measurements and compare.  Anyone doing this should conduct their own measurements and growth rate and other features and use this to determine their mustache strategy and project how he will look as it grows.
  • Basic design principals can be implemented to make the most aesthetically pleasing mustache based upon the data.  Certain pleasing ratios and geometrical shapes may give guidance on styling approach (possible future blog post topic?).

Baseline data as of May 31, 2013 – not too different from yesterday so no new photo included but here it is again..


Biometric data (genetics):

These are the constants that define my face regardless of my grooming practices.  Aside from cosmetic surgery, traumatic face injury, and the aging process, it should remain relatively stable.  Note, however, that as we are dealing with soft tissue these measurements will vary.
Mouth width (resting, not smiling or puckering)
2 and 3/16 inches
Philtrum height (the groove on the lip between the nose and upper lip)
11/16 inch
Width between smile lines at mouth level in resting position.
3 ¼ inches

Whisker Follicle Data (genetics, but can be altered by shaving)

These relate to the placement of hair producing follicles that will be groomed for facial hair purposes.  Without shaving, it is biometric data, but its size can be reduced by shaving.
Height at Philtrum
10/16 inch
Height between nostrils and lip
11/16 inch
Height at mouth corner
¾ inch
Height at mouth corner
¾ inch
Width of mustache growing area
3 1/4 inches

 Whisker hair data (grooming, growth, and loss)

Mustache style and stage
Stubble mustache attached to goatee (all hairs approximately the same length), above lip, can be combed to minor degree, not able to curl.
Apparent mustache age (estimate as to how many days it would take to get to this point from a clean-shaved face – will update once growth rate data can be determined)
22 days +/-  (May 9, 2013)
Days since last trim
10 (May 21, 2013)
Typical whisker length range and variation
3/8 inch throughout +/-
Percentage unshaved at philtrum
100%
Percentage unshaved between nostrils and lip
100%
Percentage unshaved mouth corner
100%
Distance tip to tip –  stretched
4.25 inches
Maximum distance from left to right - curled
4.15 inches
Distance from philtrum to start of curl – Right/Left
n/a
Distance from start of curl to tip (straightened) – Right/Left
0,0
Diameter of curl – Right/Left
0,0
Degrees of curl – Right/Left
0,0
Shaping/styling products used and notes
none

One area where my mustache may be a bit different from most, is that the distance between my upper lip and nose is small – so much that I am one of the few people I know who can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue.  This means that from top-to-bottom, my mustache will probably be thinner than those with thicker upper lips.

Am I missing any statistics here?  Let me know if there is some metric you would like to see.  Now that I have entertained those of you who are the geeky-engineering type, I promise that my next post will be more lighthearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment