Wednesday, May 29, 2013

First post - the beginning of the journey

Welcome to my epic mustache blog where I take you along in my journey living with an epic handlebar mustache.  Today is May 29, 2013 and I am about to begin my journey in having an awesome mustache.




Here is how I look now.  Where's the mustache?  Well, I'm not there yet.  Of course you can see that I am not completely starting from scratch.  I have what some people call a circle beard, or a mustache and goatee which has lived on my face for the last fifteen years without any real significant changes - except that it has gotten more gray.  At age 48, I guess I can expect that to happen

I last had my beard and mustache professionally trimmed about a week ago when I was at the barbershop (Tip#1 whenever possible, have all hair trimming - including facial hair - done professionally.  My barbershop visits include not only a haircut, but also trims to the mustache and beard and eyebrows).  The barber trimmed my beard and mustache to setting #2 which has a nice consistent crisp and professional look, without  skin showing through.  At that time I had no thought of converting my mustache to a handlebar.

I am not a hairy guy.  Because I have hardly any whiskers in my sideburns or cheeks, a full beard, as much as I think they are beautiful, is never a possibility for me.  I am blessed however with adequate whiskers surrounding my mouth.  So, I think I have a pretty good shot at going for it.  But, there are no guarantees.

In considering this change to my appearance, I looked online and found many web sites, YouTube videos, and other resources that talked about styling a handlebar mustaches.  I also saw some interesting time lapse videos showing daily mustache growth.  What I did not find, was any sort of diary of what it is like to start from scratch and experience the transition to a beautiful, full, awesome, and epic mustache.  That is what I hope to accomplishe here.

In this blog I hoped to take you along in my journey as I grow this mustache.  We will share my successes, failures, triumphs, and frustrations.  We will discuss tips, techniques, products, and ideas. Perhaps most interesting will be the reactions of friends, family, and people that I work with to my new look.  So far, no one - including my wife - knows that this in the works.

Eventually this blog will transition from one about growing an epic mustache, to one about happily living with one.  I welcome your comments, feedback, and ideas as I desire company, and advice on this journey.  Thanks for reading and please check back for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment