Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Identified by my mustache - in a way that is not good

I discovered something rather disturbing tonight when looking at an online review at the restaurant where I work my second job. It criticized my performance and then identified me by saying, "Our server (a gentlemen with a large mustache)" - clearly identifying me as no one else there has a mustache that can be considered large. Here's the review in its entirety (with the town and restaurant name smudged out).
 
Now, I can take criticism. I pride myself in being an excellent server even though it is only a second job for me - and my substantial tips are proof that my guests are pleased. I am certain that management will discuss this review with me - as they should. I have no problem with a guest discussing my performance with management. Unfortunately, this review was from a diner from last month and I cannot remember them or why anyone would think that I was nervous or inexperienced. Management knows that I do a good job, and I am not concerned about this.

My bigger problem is that now any guest who reads this review, and sees my handlebars will immediately have the preconceived notion that I am nervous, inexperienced, or incompetent. They may request to sit in another section. Any flaw in their dining experience will be attributed to the fact that their server was that "large-mustached" guy that they read about and that management obviously has not taken care of.

I don't anticipate this becoming a major problem, but what should I to do if it does? Remove my handlebars so that I cannot be identified by future guests? Quit?

What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. Go overboard service to guests so that one of them will leave a counter-balancing review of the waiter with the epic mustache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I salute you for posting the review and not taking it too personally. That said, it is very unrealistic to think that this review will have a significant affect on you personally. The number of people that read the review in detail is a fraction of a percent, and the number of people with the gumption to move tables is also a small percent. Combined, net impact: zero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just goes to show, you can't please everyone. Don't beat yourself up over it, I like to think we as individuals either rise to the challenge or scurry away. I'm much to Irish for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I have since left the restaurant biz. I miss all of the mustache compliments that I used to get from my tables.

    ReplyDelete