Friday, July 5, 2013

Handlebar Mustaches Grow Twice as Fast as Other Hair - Let Me Explain

37 days ago vs now
Last night I arrived home freshly back from the family reunion where the my appearance received a whole lot of attention - all of it positive.  Everyone seem to love the mustache.  My one nephew who can grow facial hair, even decided to groom his scruff and start pursuing a new look for himself.


Both pictures show me au natural with no products such as waxes, jells, or glues (in the mustache anyway).  The natural curl intrigues me.  I simply comb or finger the mustache to the sides, and there it is. It does this even without twisting - though I do twirl it just a bit to keep the ends together. The dark under the curls is shadow, not undergrowth.

In most people, hair tends to grow 1/2" per month - and I think that I am pretty average in that respect.  In my mind, this seemed incredibly slow.  But actually the rate of growth for a handlebar mustache, unlike any other hair, is actually twice that - 1 inch per month.  This is because the two sides grow in opposite directions - left and right.  If the left side grows to the left at 1/2" per month, and the right side also grows 1/2" - that really means a 1" difference in width which makes a substantial difference in appearance.  No other hair style - including other mustaches - grows in opposite directions and therefore other growth appears slower.

Each day the stache seems to grow in awesomeness.  Though the pictures above show the five-week difference, I actually notice the difference on a daily basis.  Every morning I observe how it is longer and more impressive than the day before - only to be surpassed the next day.  In all, I am having a lot of fun "rocking the stache".


No comments:

Post a Comment