Saturday, July 27, 2013

Waxed into submission the Firehouse way

This morning's waxed mustache
I am now trying some oil-based mustache waxes.  Up until now, all of the products that I have been using on my mustache are water based with the exception of the occasional oil which I really use more for a conditioner.  This means that any moisture (rain, splashes from drinks, face washing, touching with wet fingers, etc...) removes the hold.  Oil-based waxes have the advantage of repelling water and keeping the hold much longer.  So I decided to order some oil-based product from Firehouse Moustache Wax.
Firehouse Moustache Waxes - Dark and Wacky Tacky
I choose this brand due to many online reviews of men who were pleased with them - especially men with wiry hard-to-tame mustaches like me.  The tins cost $8.00 each and $3.00 for up to two tins.  I ordered one of the dark and the other wacky tacky on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday by US Mail.  I have started experimenting with them.  They also have a "light" tin for blonde or white mustaches but i decided not to try it.

My first reaction is that they are both very firm and benefit from warming the wax before trying to apply.  The photo gallery on their website shows may men with very smooth groomed mustaches and have tried unsuccessful to duplicate the look.  Today I have had the best luck as shown in the picture above (using the dark wax) - but I am still working on it.  Perhaps it is the stage of growth that I am now in, or just the texture of my hair.  I will elaborate more once feel do more experimentation to see what works.

Now I am off to a picnic lunch with my wife - complete with juicy plums and apricots that should provide a challenge to eat neatly and not completely cover the mustache with with fruit and juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment