Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Facial recognition software does not recognize me with the new mustache

Screen on my computer after attempting to log in using facial recognition.
The facial recognition feature of my computer thinks that am a different person since I grew my mustache.  Here's the message that I got this morning after attempting to log on using my webcam.


As I usually log on using other means, this was no hardship.  But all other factors were equal to my previous successful attempts such as the lighting and location so the only changes were the mustache and several months of aging.  I had not attempted to use facial recognition to log in since starting the improved mustache, so I am not certain when the change became significant enough to cause it to fail to match my identity with the images on file.  Fortunately I have other means to prove my identity so I could get in with no problem.

I added my new pictures to my profile so it will be interesting to see if I must have my mustache styled identically for recognition, or if it will allow some freedom in style, length, and other factors when I try it again.

I wonder if Picassa, Facebook, and other services that attempt to match faces based upon photographs would recognize me with the changed look.  Perhaps this is my one opportunity to escape the FBI database and resume a new life ...

No comments:

Post a Comment