Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lose the mustache


This morning's mustache - au natural - after being told to lose it
 
 
When dropping of a key at another office, Sam who works there saw me from the desk and said, “Is that John with a handlebar mustache?”

“Yes, this is John with a handlebar mustache.”

“Lose the mustache." he frankly said, "It puts you in the league of those who wear ascots and Tam o' Shanters.” (I had to Google these to see what these even were).  “Keep the goatee but lose or trim the mustache?”

“Well …  I appreciate the suggestion.”  (polite response) but I was really thinking, “Who asked you or cares about what you think?”

I left.
 
So my choice is to loose the mustache and look like everyone else to make this one person happy (whom I really don’t care about) or listening to the chorus of people who compliment me daily on how much they like my mustache, or just do what I want, and not pay attention to what others say.

Actually he is not too far off with the ascot comment.  I have been experimenting with new knots with the standard issue black solid necktie that must I wear as part of my uniform at the restaurant.  I have recently been wearing my tie with either a trinity or Eldridge knot.  No one has said anything when I wear the trinity knot, but the Eldridge gets a lot of compliments.  So I am no longer just the waiter with the big curly mustache, but also the one with the cool necktie knots.  I like being an individual in a world of clones.  … and I must say that this waiter is doing well in the tips department.

I guess it is all about the boundaries of individualism.  If I am too much like everyone else, I have no distinctiveness, individuality, or anything memorable.  The other extreme makes me a freak or caricature to be laughed at not taken seriously.  Sam probably thinks that I have crossed the line to the extreme side. 

Now… off to eBay to shop for a Tam o’ Shanter.

No comments:

Post a Comment