Monday, August 5, 2013

Frustrated with mustache waxes, loving glues

Today's mustache using Got2B Glued and glue stick
I am getting very frustrated with mustache waxes.  I don't know if it is my technique, the wiry nature of my whiskers, the present length of the hair, or if I just have unrealistic expectations.  Perhaps it's a combination of all of this.

Yesterday I spent about twenty minutes trying to get my mustache to behave using wax.  I was using Firehouse Wacky Tacky - which many claim is the very best wax and having no luck getting the ends to come close to sticking together.  I preheated the tin, and did everything that I was supposed to do.,  Finally my wife started giving me grief hogging the bathroom as we got ready for church so I let it go and decided that it was as good as it was going to get and I was going to have to live with it.  It shouldn't be this difficult.


Nevertheless it was a good mustache day.  I did receive a fair number of complements.  Once college student was home with his sister to see their father, even took her over and said, "this is the way that my mustache looked this spring."  Apparently he had shaved a mustache from his beard and had about six months of growth on it that he is not sporting at the moment.  The both said it looked great and even later came by and said that he was really "diggin'" my mustache and told me that he was going to regrow his.  At the church picnic that followed, I continued to receive positive comments.

I had to work at the restaurant that night and didn't have a whole lot of time to shower, change, and get there and there was no way that I was going to spend another twenty minutes to get it looking good.  I also have higher standards for grooming the mustache when I work at the restaurant since I can't be messing with it all of the time and also since most guests don't appreciate a server who looks unkempt.  Tip income is at stake here.

So, I reached for the Got2B glued tube and got working on it.  After a little massaging just a very small amount and a couple of pulls at the ends, the tips gathered into nice curls that I could easily position to my desires.  In a minute or two, I was done.  I wanted to further solidify the tips, but couldn't find my glue stick.  It really didn't matter.  The mustache looked great without a lot of work.

After my shift, I stopped by the local Walmart and grabbed a couple different types of glue sticks that were priced for back-to-school so that I could have spares at home, the office, and in my restaurant apron.

Today I went straight for the Got2B glued tube and use the glue stick to reinforce the tips.  Again I had immediate gratification and the look that I wanted and no grief from my wife about my time in the bathroom.

The only reason that I see to use oil-based waxes rather than glues is that the glues are water soluble and if I am somewhere where the mustache is likely to get wet, or if I get caught in a sudden downpour, it's ruined.  Yet I online I see men with nicely waxed mustaches coming out of swimming pools or up from dives still looking a lot better than I did immediately after twenty minutes of preening.

So for now, I will be only using the two glues on most days.  If I anticipate a soaking, I may try the waxes again. Perhaps once I gain some more length, I will experiment more with the waxes to see if i can get them to work.  But for most days, I am a glue guy and don't see that changing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment