Thursday, June 20, 2013

Barbershop Visit


Today looked like the right day for a haircut and facial hair trim.  An area-wide Internet and cell phone service blackout meant that my other work would not get done, so off I went to the barbershop.  




Sitting in the barber's chair  - before and after
This before and after picture shows what I had done.  Notice the dramatic trim to the goatee.  The before shot actually shows Ruben, my barber, with a pretty impressive stache himself – though not a handlebar.  

I was pretty explicit on my instructions, “cut the hair, trim the goatee, to a very short setting – like a 1 and ½ or 2, and don’t touch the mustache.  Everything below the side of my mouth is to be cut, everything above is to be left alone because I am growing out a handlebar.”  Which is what he did.

He responded, “I see that you have a nice curl going there.”  So hey, even my barber is starting to notice.

I also chatted about handlebar mustaches with Ruben.  He told me that he has had one in the past, though I am only familiar with him with his walrus look.  He encouraged me to proceed.

So this makes Ruben the only person that I can think of that I know who has either had or currently has a handlebar mustache. 
 
I am really amazed how few handlebars I see - anywhere.  I was thinking that since I started growing one, I would start noticing them everywhere - much like when you buy a new car model suddenly every street, parking lot, and driveway has the same car.  But so far, none.  I guess I am out there.  Don't call me a copycat.

No comments:

Post a Comment