Tuesday, June 11, 2013

First Waxing - Clubman Mustache Wax




Mustache after my first waxing.  

A visit to a larger city today allowed me to finally purchase and apply some mustache wax.  As you can see in this picture, using wax really controls the hairs and starts developing points (though too short for curls yet).


I found the wax at Sally's Beauty Supply as I had seen that this chain carried at least one brand of mustache wax.  As a man walking in, I quickly noticed that very little here that would be of interest to me.  The women and one effeminate man all gave me "what are you doing here" look.  So I quickly asked for help and was directed to the mustache wax section.  Their assortment consisted of one brand "Clubman" and one variety "Neutral".  This made the decision vary easy.  One package of Clubman Wax in the Neutral variety for $3.99 bought and I was out the door.

As you can see, the package comes with a small tube and a combination brush/comb

I took a small amount, rubbed it between my thumbs and index fingers, and started working it through my mustache.  Immediately I noticed that it did a much more powerful job in holding the whiskers than my #12 strength hair jell.  Pinching and pulling the ends actually started developing points.  I combed it to work the wax through evenly and promptly combed out the points at the tip.  I put them back, and they sort of stick together, but are still quite brushy.

Yesterday the mustache grew to what I consider to be one month apparent age.  It's in that awkward stage where it is too long to look evenly trimmed, but too short to allow much in the way of styling options.  With the wax, at least I can start differentiating it from the goatee.  I was waiting for it to get to this point before trimming the goatee without trimming the mustache.  

High resolution image at end of day (click for larger image)

Here's my end of the day shot.  I have been pulling on and and playing with the mustache all evening and you can see that the tips still there, but not as sharp as above.  I also used my good camera to take this picture which gives much better resolution.

... still a long way to go before it can be called an epic mustache.












No comments:

Post a Comment