Thursday, June 13, 2013

Not Even - Recentering My Mustache

Today I fixed a problem that has gradually crept up on me over the years - I balanced my lopsided goatee and mustache.

Today

Nine Years Ago

When you compare these two pictures, you will notice that over the years, the goatee and mustache growing area has widened (unfortunately other things have widened as well but we won't go there).  Notice the connectors - they have gone from being quite thin and only at the corners of my mouth - to probably about 1/2 inch today.   You will probably notice a gap between the mustache and smile lines then does not exist now on my right side (left on the picture) and is narrow on the left.  Part of this was a conscious decision to widen them - as they have at times been thin, but also it was just a part of my shaving habits where whiskers were occasionally missed and then incorporated.  When shaving around the facial hair, I just shaved around them.

Over time the growing area unconsciously evolved unevenly with my right side becoming wider than the left.  I did not notice this, nor did anyone ever pointed it out to me.  My shaving behavior was to swipe down one side, then the other without analyzing it to much.

Now, however, since paying a lot more attention to my mustache, I notice this difference.  My right side traveled past the smile lines and onto my cheek, while the left sits well inside the smile line.  I would like to have just slid everything over to my left, but since that is only possible with a fake facial hair and slimy glue, my shaving patterns must change instead.  I can accept symmetry differences due to biometrical reasons, but not those due to grooming sloppiness.

The new rule is the smile line marks the line - outside the smile line gets shaved.  Inside hairs are safe.  This morning I attacked the right side with my razor and did not shave the bare skin inside the smile line on the left side.  Todays picture is after that shaving.  Perhaps people will start making the comment that I am a well centered individual ... or not.

I can sure notice the graying in my hair, mustache, and beard that has occurred in the last nine years.  That kid was not ready for a handlebar the way that this man is now - though he sure would have looked good in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment