Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reaction at the Restaurant and Battling Undergrowth

I am having fun with my new look and I like that it is getting attention.  Three times tonight my mustache became the topic of conversation.


Reaction from my boss

My manager Jake said to me, "you really got some growth there."

I explained to him that since we were a 1920's theme restaurant, that I wanted to do my part and grow a big 1920's mustache.  He said that he was thinking of doing a period hair cut.  I encouraged him to try a handle bar, but he said that he was not a mustache kind of guy.

Reaction from the hostess

The hostess said that she had not been able to grow a mustache - to which I said that was a good thing.  She then asked if I was jelling it.  I told her that I was putting just a little wax on the ends.  She thought that it was cool.

Reaction from a guest

One of the restaurant guests said to me, "You kind of have that speakeasy thing going on".  I am working on it, I told him.

All in all, I am enjoying the interaction that the mustache brings.  Rather than hiding behind it, I find that it opens up conversations.

Battling the undergrowth

One thing that I am not happy with right now is the undergrowth that does not seem to want to be part of the mustache.

Closeup showing the mustache, trimmed goatee, and hanging undergrowth.
This picture shows the nice swoop that  i am getting from the mustache itself leading to the natural curl at the tip.  But hanging down from it are the hairs from underneath the main mustache (inside the smile lines and higher than the corner of the mouth).  I desire to incorporate them into the mustache to add substance and length to the tips.  Today I waxed them and tried to incorporate them into the tips.  But,this picture at the end of the day, shows that any success that i did have did not last.

Probably the only solutions are to let it grow and as it is longer, work it into the mustache, or cut it away.  For now, I am going to wait it out ... for the good of the mustache.  Should I have a breakthrough, I will post it to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment