Saturday, June 15, 2013

Trimming the Goatee to Make the Mustache Look Bigger.

Before and after reduction of the goatee
Can I make my mustache look bigger by making my beard smaller?  I think so.
Tonight I sculpted the goatee and then further shortened what remains.  The main difference is on the sides.  Now the mustache extends well beyond the sides of the goatee rather than kind of blending in with it.  Next I took out my electric trimmers and shorted the remainder.  It makes it look longer and wider than before... Do you agree?

Thoughts having both a great mustache and a beard


Looking at this guy, he has a very impressive face-spanning mustache.  But no one notices it because it overshadowed by such a powerful beard.  Now if he shaved or dramatically trimmed the beard, instantly his mustache would achieve full dominance – and children would no longer ask to sit on his lap and ask for everything that they ever wanted.  But for now, people look this jolly old fellow as a beard guy, not a mustache guy.

The reason that I mention this is that he same thing must be thought of when transitioning to large mustache from a circle beard or other combination of beard and mustache.  For the mustache to increase in awesomeness, the beard must decrease.  With a large mustache, it really is all about the mustache.  Everything else either adds to it or distracts from it.


Think of the analogy of an impressive tree.  Surrounded by similarly sized or larger trees, it can easily be ignored and missed.  To really stand out, it must not compete with others for attention.  This means either going it alone (shaving everything but the mustache), or making sure that the mustache is so much more awesome than everything else that it really stands out much like this majestic redwood that towers over its brethren. 

Tonight I explored how I can immediately substantially grow my mustache's appearance simply by reducing  or removing what is not mustache.  Unlike most other changes that occur very slowly through growth, trimming or removing competing hair brought immediate results. 

Doing it professionally vs. at home

I actually recorded video of me performing this facial hair maintenance, but decided not to post it because  was very awkward and really served no purpose - though I did use it to capture the still shots above.  Were I to do it again, I would probably discuss my desired changes with my barber and have him actually perform the face-scaping.  At my next cut, I will have him touch up my work and continue to take my mustache on its way to becoming epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment