Monday, June 17, 2013

Midlife Crisis?

I can only imagine what my wife was going through.  Her husband was turning weird.  A while back he had that strange episode where he took her tape measure and said that he was measuring his mustache.  First he started changing his appearance – growing out his mustache.  Then she found the camera case in the bathroom – her husband was doing something strange.

So she came to the conclusion that made sense:  Her husband was suffering from midlife crisis.  He was not happy and wanted to start changing things.


So she confronted me.  Suddenly my quest for an epic mustache, was in her mind, a quest for a new life and she was not pleased with that.  Granted, the past several months have been a challenge for us financially and required me to take a second job waiting tables at new steakhouse restaurant with a 1920’s theme.  But wanting to make a complete change? – No.

In the morning I finally let her know what I was up to.  The reason for the mustache change did relate to the restaurant.  In line with the roaring 20’s theme, I thought that it would be really fun to greet and serve tables with an awesome early 1900’s style mustache.  The friendly facial fur would be a conversation piece and something that customers would remember long after their meal was over.  I could do fancy curls and experiment with other special occasion styles to add to the atmosphere.  Besides after 15 years with the same goatee, perhaps a different look was in order.  I explained that I was using the camera to take before, progress, and after shots.

Dressed as a Roaring '20s waiter but missing the uniform's necktie and apron.



After some tears of relief, she was on board.  She has no problem with the handlebars.  Later in the day at a church picnic, she was even pointing out my growing mustache to friends and saying how I was growing it in“old fashioned style” for the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment